Friday, July 08, 2005

The story so far...

It's finally about time I started blogging 2People. This first post will try to summarize the story to now...

I've been home from Senegal for 4.5 months -- hard to believe -- and in that time a lot has gelled. The key concepts of 2People as both an organizing strategy and an online community have come together. I have a mockup of the site, and I'm making headway on implementing the software (more on that next time).

I've presented 2People a number of times, including at MIT's E-Club (for entrepreneurs), to Harvard's Green Campus Initiative, to SustainUS (campus activists), and to a working group of MBA types doing "clean energy" startups (which I was invited to join -- I feel special). I started out hoping to raise money, but now I think it's unlikely that angel investors would hand over cash for this kind of purely social enterprise. That's okay, I'm focusing more on a first release of the software, getting some open source momentum, and I'm pretty sure the money will work out.

Oh, yeah, I've also spent some time on omidyar.net, and set up a 2People group there.

Last week I went to DC for a global warming action timed for the G8 summit. We camped out in Lafayette Park right across from the White House, and fasted for three days. I went, not because I thought this would have a big impact, but because I wanted to meet a group of people with that level of commitment -- and I was not disappointed. Great people! I was especially inspired by the students -- kids who are really smart, well-informed, and utterly passionate about creating change.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home